
I am a bad blogger lately. I don't know what has come over me -- fatigue, I'm guessing. I recently reread some of my posts from when the kids were really, really small, though, and was reinvigorated to keep writing down some of these memories. There are so many stories about the kids that I would have completely forgotten if I hadn't blogged about what we were going through at that exact time. So, I will be trying to do a better job of blogging here.
A few weeks ago we took a trip to visit Greg's folks in their new home in Clarkston. I made an error on the Spring Break dates so we ended up having a bonus week for Spring Break. Greg couldn't understand why there were so many openings on flights that we could get tickets. The rest of the state was leaving the FOLLOWING week. Ah well. Besides spending time with Greg's family, the highlights were a horseback riding trip with Cate and a visit to see some local petroglyphs. The horseback riding trip was Cate's request. She's mad for horses these days -- not as much as her cousin Ellie who would likely sell all that she owns for a horse, but enough to make an opportunity to traverse the wilds on a saddle seem divine. She did a great job not getting scared and enjoying her trip with me, grandma, and our guides. The petroglyphs were another hit. Cate had recently studied American Indian tribes and had learned a bit about petroglyphs. I love when units of study coincide with an opportunity to experience those things in real life. There really is something fantastic about walking abound a bend and seeing 4,000 year old drawings and imagining the life of those who made them. It didn't hurt that the sun was hitting the riverfront in just a beautiful way to make absolutely amazing color palettes. Another hit was taking the kids to Spokane to see where their parents first fell in love. It's hard to not feel nostalgic and think back to those days gone by when Greg and I were poor but heads over heels in love. We showed the kids some favorite spots -- Dick's hamburgers, Greg's old apartment, and of course, Whitworth College. They even took a good, old-fashioned tour as a way of whetting their appetite for what a real college experience could be like. Nothing like setting some goals when you're in 2nd grade, eh?
No comments:
Post a Comment