Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Alright, so blogging has taken a back seat lately. Somehow blogging about infections, doctors appointments, lab results, and ER visits is nowhere near as fun as blogging about the cute things my kids do. Yet, this is the reality of my life at this point.

My last chemo treatment went quite well. I recovered from the chemo quite quickly -- it is the new strange bacterial infection that has been the hardest part this round. It's had me at the ER twice last week, plus several visits to the hospital infusion room for IV antibiotics. I've got to go in every day this week for antibiotics through the port line to clear infection in the line. In the meantime, I can't use the line until we know it's no longer infected, so I'm having to do all these tests and drugs through the old fashioned IV and pricking methods. My veins really love me right now (kidding). And to top it off, I'm just now getting all the EOBs and bills to put in the blasted line -- over $8000 for the pleasure of dealing with the infected line now.

Now, I'm waiting for results from a gallbladder specialist. I had tests yesterday to see if I have an infected gallbladder or gallstones as the source of the infection. I'm praying there's no problem, and if there is, that it can quickly be taken care of with minimally invasive procedures. I'm anxious to keep on track for the chemo schedule and not get delayed. It's easier to stay focused on kicking some cancer cells to the curb than trying to figure out these unknown sources of infection. Somehow, thinking that ending Chemo in September sounds easier than ending in October, even if it's only 1 week later. Psychologically, September is easier.

Thankfully, I'm health system savvy and Greg is health system professional. If anybody knows how to deal with insurance, it would be my husband. I'm grateful. Even my "savy" is not quite enough to keep track of whether insurance is doing things correctly and whether we're paying the right bills. It's quite a headache, as anybody who has had to deal with a major illness knows. And no, Obama's health care legislation won't fix that.

In happier news, Christopher's off to Cub Scout camp this week. Today's his first day and the boy is excited. They get to do archery, go in canoes, hike mountains, whittle, and do all sorts of things boys are supposed to do (but that their moms rarely make sure they get the opportunity to do). It should be good for him. And it means Cate and I will get some good time together this week to do the things she might prefer.

No comments: