Tuesday, May 11, 2010






I thought I'd share some quick photos from this week's "Wheels Day." It's a Kindergarten fun day. The kids make pinwheels to decorate their bikes (which got A LOT of use in this week's winds), added pretty streamers, took their wheels for a quick polish at the "wheels wash," and measured the diameter of their wheels and the length of the handlebars (anything to get a little math practice in!). I love how the teachers are able to find reading, spelling, and math activities in every creative, fun activity that they do. The kids don't even know that they're learning. Kids brought bikes, scooters, and even roller skates. They got to spend the first hour and a half of the day enjoying their wheels.

As Cate pointed out "I wish every day was wheels day." Yes, indeed. I know that as the kids grow older, they still get to do creative projects as part of their learning.Even now, Christopher is working on some pretty cool projects to learn about the skeletal system, how it works together, and what bones do what for the body. Cool stuff. Still, there's something so pure and joyful about the fun of kindergarten, about the creative ways they find to make learning happen in just about any situation you can imagine. I'm going to enjoy these final weeks of the school year.

No comments: