On the upside, I really stretched myself professionally with this project. I provided a lot of leadership and facilitation of large meetings and helping make sure that all of the pieces were coming together. It's a huge book -- already close to 500 pages of original material that has been written, edited, and much of it reviewed and re-edited through a rigorous review process. That was stressful -- really it could easily have been accomplished by a full-time employee rather than by me with my part-time consulting contract. But the flip side is knowing that I can do it. It is nice to know that I can still grow and stretch in my professional life even while choosing to be a mostly stay at home mom for the past decade. I also feel some pride in what was accomplished -- yes, it will have its critics (its a big project and there is still a lot of work to be done in Phase II) -- but I also intimately understand the depth of what was accomplished in a relatively short period of time.
The other nice thing about the project has been the people I've been working with. I've been working with psychologists and masters level counselors. They tend to be really thoughtful about relationships -- providing lots of encouragement and thanks. They have made me feel like they really appreciate the work I've done -- sending thank you flowers, calling from Bethel to check in and thank me for all the work. It's nice to feel appreciated, especially when you're working as hard and furious as you can.
That said, I'm also feeling very grateful that whether I work or not is really a choice -- Greg supports me either way. How awesome is that? Given that choice and the lessons learned over the past year of this project, I can move forward with work projects in the future with a little more definition of what I'm willing to give. I do appreciate being able to flex my professional muscles, but I really would like more flexibility and the ability to still do other things that are important to me -- whether it is being a chaperone for a school field trip or working more at the Soup Kitchen. The client seems willing to work with me to continue having me involved in the project in the next phase on my own terms -- whatever those might be. That's a pretty powerful thing -- and something I don't take for granted. For now, I'm just going to rejoice in completing this first phase!
No comments:
Post a Comment