Friday, April 08, 2011




I'm playing hookie today. Sshhh...don't tell anybody!

Actually, as a part-time contractor that should be par for the course to take a day away from work every once in a while. I've been working on this deadline, though, and there has been precious little down time. I'm going to work out, get a haircut, and hit Costco today. Next week will likely be a doozie with 22 hours of meetings planned (and of course, doing the actual work that the meetings produce direction for). A day off to prep for that will be useful.

I thought I'd share a few Pinewood Derby photos. This is Christopher's last pinewood derby. It's a Cub Scout activity and next year by this time he'll be graduated into Boy Scouts. It's been a really great experience for Greg and Christopher to work on together. They plan and discuss and learn in the process of building that little car. They discuss design and colors and whether to go for a speedier design or a cooler looking shape. They plan out speed enhancing efforts and figure out how to accomplish them. It brings Greg home early from the office more often in those weeks leading up to the event so that he and Christopher can work on it before Toph heads to bed.

It's been fun to see them grow into it as the years have progressed from Tiger Scout to Webelo. As a younger scout, Christopher learned but could do much less of the actual work. Now, he can do almost all of it by himself, with direction. It's been a great bonding experience and confidence boosting experience.

Like Christopher's tie-die speed machine? It's a speedy little sucker. He won the Den (for his age group) and the Pack (all the age groups at the school). Next week he and Greg will head off to City-Wide and see if it can pack a punch against the rest of the city cub scouts.

No comments: