Monday, December 05, 2011

What a doozie of a weekend! First, I'll start with the exciting happenings of Saturday. Every kid activity seems to be coming to culmination of the semester's work. That means that Cate had a piano recital, she got her costume for the ballet recital next week, and Christopher had his first swim meet.

I was really proud of Cate. Man, what a difference 1 year of additional piano studies does for a girl. Last year at this recital, she was barely plopping out a few notes here and there. This year, she memorized two songs that actually sounded like songs! She was confident and enjoyed herself and sounded great! I think that her new piano that she got for her birthday is helping too. I know it's an electronic piano, but it is a nice one (much better than the 2 octave keyboard she was using previously). I really believe that having a nicer instrument to practice on has helped her maintain interest, as well. I'll post photos later.

Christopher's swim meet was truly exciting, as well. He was disqualified in the 50 m butterfly for a technicality, but he was so very FAST! If he hadn't been disqualified, he would have won by several lengths. And he was in the hunt for the 100 m freestyle, as well and would have had a fighting chance in that race if he had utilized the flip turn instead of touching the wall to turn. Based on his performance in the 100m freestyle, I think he would have had a real chance at the 50m freestyle if the crazy weather on Sunday (more on that later) hadn't stopped us from making it to the second day. Who knew? Having never been in this type of a venue where he is competing against people from all over the state, it's been hard to know whether he had any real promise as a competitive swimmer. I'd say after his first day of swim meet that he really does if he chooses to do so. He certainly seems to have the technical skills and speed, and just needs to get the practice for some of the more "racing" skills (the turns, the entry) that will help him gain an edge.

It was all around a very good day for him -- the older kids on the swim team that he doesn't practice with made him feel very welcome and part of the team. And the head coach who hadn't really seen him much prior (since he swims with one of the assistant coaches at a different pool) paid him a lot of attention and invited him to join the older boys for a special practice on Friday afternoons. She said he'd be the little squirt there, but that he was good enough to keep up. Wow! I think more than anything it whet Christopher's appetite and made him excited for the next meet in January. I think he'll try out the special Friday afternoon practice as an add-on and see how he likes it.

By the time Cate's piano recital on Saturday night was over, the roads were beginning to get treacherous with freezing rain. We got home just in the nick of time -- hurricane gust winds started howling through the trees and the rain was coming down sideways. I've never been so happy to be home safe and snug with my family. We huddled in for a viewing of "Elf" before hitting the hay. When I woke up to take Christopher to the second day of the swim meet that winds were still howling. I was feeling uncomfortable about driving in the conditions but was about ready to do it anyway when Greg suggested that he thought it was too dangerous to leave. I'm so glad that I didn't brave the roads -- there will be more swim meets. We were without power from about 7am-noon and we hunkered in for a lengthy game of Monopoly rather than attempting to leave the house.

No comments: