Monday, April 09, 2012


As the kids grow older and more capable, we are working to figure out ways that they can help out more with family chores. I'm trying to get them more involved in the kitchen --both with clean up and with cooking. Saturday night has become "Kids Cook" night. The kids have been mostly rotating with each one getting to plan the meal and cook it. Whichever child doesn't cook is in charge of clean up.

The kids actually got excited about the idea after Greg read an article in the Wall Street Journal about a family who started this tradition and about how the children have steadily grown in their love of cooking and in their abilities. The list of recipes that those kids are now making was staggering. I think the kids also got on board with this idea after seeing mom's new healthy eating diet in action. They have quickly discovered that if they plan the meal, they will get a break from mom's choices braised tofu served with root vegetables and chickpeas (or some other similar healthy entree). I think they see this as a way of getting the meal they most desire.

We now have about 3 weeks of experience with "Kids Cook" night. Christopher made home made sloppy joes using a Rachel Ray Kids Cook recipe. Cate made pancakes last week and homemade pizza this week. I'm finding I can pretty much let Christopher go and he can cook it up, while Cate needs me to tell her the next thing to do. I take pains to not do any of the work, though, and to simply explain to her the next step. I hope that we have the same outcome as that family in the Wall Street Journal -- kids who have the capacity to cook as well as the desire.

No comments: