Thursday, September 06, 2007

Calling all Parents:
Any parents with great parenting advice can please make their way to the front. We've been having some doozies with Christopher lately. The problem -- his anger when he doesn't get his way and constant grumping. Small things can cause giant meltdowns. I don't think it's malicious -- honestly, I think he's exhausted. Maybe I underestimated the major change between Kindergarten and First Grade and how it's impacting him -- First Grade is much more academic, which he can handle academically without problem, but can still require greater focused energy which can cause exhaustion. You're "on" all the time in first grade -- much less time to play and let loose a little. By the time he comes home, he's purely exhausted and just can't find it in him to be nice. Because I know it's not malicious, but comes from fatigue, I try to cut him some slack, but it just gets worse. Last night it culminated in a doozy -- slamming doors, throwing his clothes on the ground, punching his mattress -- the whole nine yards. All because I told him it was bedtime -- which was obvious he desperately needed. Oh -- and I've got a good old-fashioned sinus cold, which doesn't help me feel like the most patient parent on earth.

So -- we're taking suggestions. Personally, I think I need to do a few things. First, we've been working on early bedtimes, and I need to help it be earlier. I've been getting him to bed by 7:30 but he has had trouble falling asleep (overexhaustion can do that to you, strangely enough). Maybe we need to extend the bedtime routine -- full hour of reading starting at 6:00 so that by 7:00 he's in bed ready to sleep. Second, I think I need to not cut him slack. If he's grumpy, we'll have to nip in the bud, even if it doesn't come from a malicious place in him, just from being tired. Cutting him slack just seems to make him think it's ok....I think we're back to 30 minute time-outs in his bedroom at the first sight of bad behavior. He hates to be sent to his room by himself -- hates to be by himself. He'd much rather be with people, so that seems to be a deterrent for him and also sends the message that people don't want to be around him when he's acting badly.

Parents...what else?

2 comments:

Jed said...

Jenny, I think you're a great mom! I don't really have any advice, my time as a parent is limited :) But what you have planned seems like a great idea. Also, maybe with Christopher you could ask him why he is so angry and grumpy. He may not be able to tell you, but I know that he is a great thinker and he may surprise you. He may have so many thoughts and feelings going on due to this transition that he feels overwhelmed. I know I have that problem anyway :P

Gateway School and Learning Center said...

www.loveandlogic.com
I'm serious. Or go out and buy the book. It will be well, well, well worth it.