
Living with Greg is never boring. When we were first married, his "harebrained" ideas would stress me out -- whether it was an idea to live in trailer while builidng our first home on the hillside, or start our own business, or take a crazy vacation. Over time, I've come to realize that many of the ideas are only harebrained to me. If we had built that home on the hillside, we'd be millionaires now. The idea was sound -- just not for me at that time.
Greg's new harebrained idea is to charter a sailboat in Greece to cruise around the Greek Islands. If we could find another couple or family to come with us, it would be something affordable. Expensive still, but affordable. Or some tours rent out a cabin and then put you with another paying customer on the yacht. Maybe we'll do it? I don't know -- I've been researching them a bit and I have to admit we'd see Greece from a different perspective. We'd be able to anchor in remote coves, visit local tavernas that most tourists don't see, and get to a number of islands in a short period of time. And unlike the ferries, a sailboat would make the process of getting places pretty darned fun. It seems more fun to do with somebody we know and could travel well with rather than sharing such close quarters with strangers and hoping for a good match. Anybody want to take a vacation to Greece next May?
If we sail, that will take up probably 1 week of our vacation. We'd still have a good 10-12 days to visit a few more islands via ferry and stay on land in local pensions. It could be a good mix. I'm trying to not to think about the cost and just think about whether the idea is sound. It is. We'll see if we can make it happen.
In news that isn't quite as fun, I had to get my first shot today to stimulate my bone marrow to grow more white blood cells. They tested me this cycle on day 10 when WBC's are traditionally lowest, and mine didn't meet criteria to go without the shot. I was bummed a bit, but trying not to be. I like to think I'm invincible by doing everything "right" (getting good sleep, exercising, good nutrition) and don't like to be reminded of just how much damage those chemo drugs do that can't always be managed by doing the "right" things. I know a lot of people have to get the shots every cycle -- it took me halfway through to have to get it. I'm hoping I don't have any of particularly nasty side effects some people report -- particularly pain in the bones and joints. Some people require narcotic pain relief from the shots, and the nurse advised me that I could take some if needed if we had some around the house. So far so good -- hoping there won't be any bad side effects, especially since Greg is heading out of town again tomorrow. Instead, I just hope they do the job and I get a load of new energy from all those new WBC's floating around.
No comments:
Post a Comment