
The kids and I spent a day at the Downtown Soup Kitchen this week before camp started. We worked a different day than usual and as a result got to see some other volunteers that I hadn't seen in a while. One was a woman who has had a child since I last saw her. She's continued to bring her little girl who is now almost 2-years old with her to work at DSK once a week. Isn't that cool? Not even letting a little thing like a newborn stop you from serving at the soup kitchen....The kid is growing up seeing service in action. I absolutely love it.
It's so interesting to see how much my kids are changing, and the Soup Kitchen was another chance to see that. Cate was about 6 months older than this little girl when she started coming with me to DSK. She would do what she could in terms of help;ing, and then go upstairs to play and take a break when needed. There were always older kids and teenagers who were also volunteers around to help keep an eye on the kids. Now it's my kids being one of the "older" kids to the younger ones. I was happy to see how kind and helpful they were with little Lydia here. They would run and get her snacks, get on her level to play with her on occasion, and act the same way the older kids did with them. This is a definite fringe benefit of working at the soup kitchen....getting the chance to see my kids doing well not only with the clients, but also with the other little volunteers.
No comments:
Post a Comment