Thursday, September 11, 2008


I realize I've posted a lot about books lately. We've just been reading a lot lately, I suppose. It's fun getting Christopher to the age where we can read more grown up books together. Don't get me wrong, I love the Berenstein Bears as much as anybody, and Angelina Ballerina and anything by Kevin Henkes, but I've been reading the little kid books for a lot of years and it's fun to start exploring new territory.
Our latest conquest? "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler." Man, did I love this book when I was a kid. I must have read it 10 times. The idea of running away from home to live at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, bathe in the Met fountain at night when the guards go home, and sleep in Marie Antoinette's bed was irresistable. And that mystery about Michelangelo's lost statue Angel wasn't so bad either. I'm sure that this book was what caused me take that Advance Placement Art History class in high school (at that time, you had to take the class during lunch hour -- you had to be really committed). And the book hasn't lost its touch. Christopher was very bummed to find out there were no sequels. Passing on the books of my youth with a growingly sophisticated reader is just a blast.
So, what were your favorite books as a kid? Tell me and I'll read them with Christopher. We've been really enjoying "novel time" together. And mom, what was that other book I loved about a dolphin and a family on a desserted island? It had "Blue Dolphin" in it's title and I remember loving it, but can't remember the name.

3 comments:

Gateway School and Learning Center said...

I bet it was Island of the Blue Dolphins. Abigail's teacher will read that to the class this year. I'll come up with some good ones for you!

Jed said...

Off the top of my head... The Indian in the Cupboard, Racso and the Rats of Nimh, The Three Investigators mysteries... if I think of more I'll let you know!

Jed said...

Is the Battle of the Books program still around? I loved most of the books I read for that growing up!