Monday, April 23, 2007


Here's a pic of Cate during "naptime" today. Not much napping going on, although I guess I should be pleased she's checking out her books instead of getting into trouble or whining. Naps are becoming a thing of our past on the majority of days and I don't know whether to cry or cheer. It certainly is nice to not have to plan our lives around the 1:00 hour, which I've done for the past 6 1/2 years. Since Christopher was born, there was almost always some child napping at 1:00. It's definately a milestone. I'm still enforcing "quiet time" whenever I can.


Quick catch up with our lives--


  • Greg had a meeting with a kitchen designer on Sat. He feels good that we've found a knowledgeable person, and it's at a wholesale distributor (which means less expensive). Somebody from his work is dating the owner, so she helped set us up to buy wholesale. Still don't have the date of when the remodel will happen, but it's looking more and more likely. We're thinking of knocking some walls down (between the dining room and kitchen), and moving the laundry (which is behind the kitchen) so that we can make the space as open as possible.

  • Christopher's on a field trip to the Campbell Creek Science Center today. Can't wait to hear how it went. Wish I could go, but it was suggested that little guys (like Cate) would find it too much -- it's apparently a lot of walking. We also need to start planning his science project for "Scientist of the Day" -- last few weeks of school every child gets a chance to be Scientist of the Day and showcase an experiment. Christopher seems interested in floating -- why do some things float, and other things sink? What causes it? And what floats and what sinks? Sounds like good science questions to me.

  • Took the kids to "Meet the Robinsons" on Friday when it was a day off school. They had a good time hanging with their buddies Abigail and Kaes and enjoyed the film, especially Christopher.

  • Kids had fun with their cousins on Sunday afternoon. They tore through the house like a tornado, and also had fun exploring the property.

  • Sunday morning, our friends the Dayley's called to see if we wanted to play Pinochle. We used to play every Sunday afternoon until kids. Now we get to play about once a year. It was a blast. If you haven't learned to play pinochle, you should.

  • I'm working on a few client projects -- just finished up one, and am trying to gather data for the other (with minimal success at the moment).
  • Hosting book club tomorrow night. This month is "Farenheit 451" which should make for interesting conversation. Anybody have a recommendation for next month? Since I'm hosting I get to choose. I'm thinking about "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson, "Kabul Beauty School" by Deborah Rodriguez, "The Year of Magical Thinking" by Joan Didion, "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen, "The Worst Hard Times" by Timothy Egan and "Einstein: HIs Life and Universe." That last one is a hardback, so might wait until it's available in paperback. If you've read one that you'd recommend (or a different title) let me know. I'm really interested in non-fiction lately.

1 comment:

Gateway School and Learning Center said...

I dare ya to get Christopher to float moose nuggets for his experiment. The kids would looooove that.