Thursday, April 26, 2007

I wish I had my camera this morning when dropping both kids at school. They were both getting some pretty fun science learning opportunities at school today.

At Christopher's class it was "Rain Day." All the kids brought their umbrellas and there are rainshowers expected in the classroom throughout the day. The lights get turned off (signifying the coming clouds) and then spray bottles spray "rain water" all over. Tomorrow is "Mud Day" (which comes after the rain) and they'll be planting lots of seeds to show how the rain and mud help prepare the soil for the seeds. Next week they'll have "Sun Day" where they're supposed to bring sunhats -- I'm sure his teacher will have a unique way to show the sun indoors (just like the rain showers today) and later in the week, "Blooming Day" where they see how the combination of Spring weather patterns helps the flowers and plants grow and bloom. I'll be volunteering tomorrow for mud day -- I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Cate's class is learning about birds and insects. Tuesday they read "Are you My Mother?" and today they had real birds nests to touch and inspect with magnifying glasses and draw pictures, and see the individual components that went into the nest. They are also planting.

Feeling pretty excited about my kids' school experiences right now.

Oh...and a final thing. Christopher's school has been doing fundraisers for a school in Malawi, Africa all year. The Kindergarteners did several bread sales and raised many hundereds of dollars. A documentary about Malawi is being made in town and they got permission to come talk to students about their projects throughout the year. The teachers discussed students to share the Kindergarten experience and suggested Christopher to speak in the documentary on behalf of the Kindergarteners.

There are many things to feel pride about with our kids -- their smarts, their kindness, their athletic accomplishments. But, man, I feel truly proud that Christopher is seen by his teachers as a child with compassion, who understands the mission of helping others who are in desparate need, and has enthusiasm for doing so. Of all the things to be proud of, this is one I wouldn't give up in my child for anything.

1 comment:

Gateway School and Learning Center said...

These are days worth cherishing!