Wednesday, April 01, 2009


About a year ago we bought "The Message for Kids" which has been a fun version to sit and read together. It has a lot of ideas for discussing the concepts of each bible story, activities to do with kids based on the stories, and ways to apply the stories to a kids' life.
We've been getting a head start on our bible readings out of "The Message for Kids" in regards to Holy Week. We've already gotten through Palm Sunday and started in tonight on the pre-Last Supper washing of feet. The suggested activity is to get out a bowl and wash the feet of somebody in your family. Cate loves this story and the activity. We've set up a foot washing in the house before when we read the story, and she just can't get enough of it. I don't know if it's the spa-like atmosphere that this creates or what, and I suppose it doesn't really matter. She patiently listens to my instructions as to why we wash each others feet so I guess something must be getting through.
Cool fact -- we talked tonight about how amazing it would have been for the disciples to have Jesus, their hero, washing their stinky feet. I asked Christopher to think of a hero in this world and how it would feel to have them washing his feet. His hero? His current 1st/2nd grade teacher. We could do much worse.

No comments: