
So, I think I've achieved my goal of creating a book worm (or two). For now, I'll tell you of Book Worm #1.
Christopher is in the midst of the final battle of "Deathly Hallows" (Harry Potter #7). It's an insanely exciting sequence of events that takes up the last 100 pages or so of the 700+ page book. I don't know whether to be thrilled or annoyed. He's so taken in with the book that he's been reading it at the dinner table, taking a flashlight in the car so he can read it during carpool on the way to school, and yes, still awake at 9:30 pm (over an hour and a half after bedtime) crouched in bed with his Harry Potter. Overheard in the car today -- "I wish I could skip school today so I could stay home and finish my book."
Part of me is so excited to see HIM so excited about reading. The other part of me thinks if he doesn't get to bed a little earlier he's going to drive us all crazy with his grumpiness. And of course, his desire for complete silence in the car during carpool so that he can read in silence is unrealistic and selfish, even as I relish the idea of him so enamored with a book that he wants to read it at every available moment.
He has always enjoyed reading, but his confidence and love of it has really taken off in the post-Battle of the Books world. He's gained so much confidence, which is translating into him finding more and more books that he's enthralled with and can't put down. For my very social boy who, despite his love of reading, would generally rather play with people rather doing the solitary book thing, it's a pretty seismic shift. It will be interesting to see if it stays once Harry's final battle is done.
1 comment:
"Like"
See, you need a button.
Post a Comment