Friday, August 06, 2010

I can announce that a new teacher for Christopher's 3rd/4th grade class has been found -- Pam Rowell. Pam was a kindergarten teacher at the school and has decided to move up to a new grade. I'm very excited -- I think Pam is an excellent teacher and she seems very excited for a new challenge. She said she has loved teaching kindergarten, but wasn't "born" to teach Kindergarten like Jean. Instead, she's the kind of person who enjoys new challenges and trying different things. I think she'll bring a lot of enthusiasm to her new role and the excitement of working with kids of a different age group.

Before Pam was selected, I had offered to sit on the hiring committee for Christopher's teacher. I was taken up on my offer and have begun the process of sitting in on interviews -- only now we're interviewing kindergarten teachers to take Pam's place instead of 3rd/4th grade teachers. It's a fun process for me. I'm sure it's nerve-wracking from the perspective of the interviewee -- there are 3 teachers, 1 principal, and 2 parents sitting around the table asking questions. It is nice to have the opportunity to help make such an important decision, though. Teachers at Chugach tend to stay around awhile so whoever gets selected will likely be there long after my kids have left. We'll hopefully have a recommendation for the position by Monday.

No comments: