Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Book Bags
Today I started my new volunteer position at Christopher's school -- in the role of a book bag supervisor. About 2-3 parents per day come in from 12:00-12:30 to help kids learn to read independently. Each child has a bag with books specific to their reading ability. The parent voluteers get about 4 kids to their group. While one child reads to the parent, the other 3 read independently and silently and prepare themselves for their turn to read aloud. At least that is it in theory. It's the first week, so many kids are still having trouble with the sitting quietly part.

I'm glad I can help with this activity since I love reading so much and find it so exciting to see all these kids learning. It will undoubtedly be fun to see their progression, as well.

And the funny thing? I've spent so much time worrying about Christopher's reading ability since he's been surrounded by friends who were early readers. Watching him today in class I realize he's up there in the top reading group of his class. In our group of 4, Christopher and one other boy were doing pretty good reading. The other two were pretty much guessing based on the pictures. He's not behind at all, just not that much ahead.

No comments: