I'm awed by physical therapists. Today I went in for my PT appointment to learn home exercises for my back so that I can avoid any future mishaps with my back. Two of these back injuries are more than enough for my lifetime, if it were up to me.The Physical Therapist was very good and did a full evaluation. For the first time, I think I know the cause of these back issues -- bad posture coupled with weak abdominals from carrying two children. The PT discovered that when I stand, I have quite an arch in my back, which puts extra pressure on those muscles and joints. The weak abdominals make the situation worse, by leaving all the work to my back. Eventually, it gives out and spasms to protect itself. The PT gave me home exercises and stretches, and helped me to be more conscious of how I carry myself, and whether I use my back or my whole body to lift and carry and bend. I'm quite excited that I may be able to strengthen my abs, which will not only help my back health, but maybe improve my bathing suit look!
No comments:
Post a Comment