Monday, March 17, 2008



Harry Potter has cast his spell on Christopher. In an attempt to make Spring Break/recovery from surgery not 100% television, we started reading "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I'm now behind on laundry, haven't exercised in days, and am appallingly behind on work projects. Christopher will do just about anything I ask if I'll just read him one more chapter. We finished up the first book in just under a week and have already gotten through the first 3 chapters of the second book. He is enjoying them tremendously.
As for me, I like the interesting conversations they spark. For instance, the books have a character named Neville who is a bit of a bungler -- but with a good heart. He just isn't quite as smart or cool or "with it" as everybody else. Yet even in his nerdiness, he becomes a bit of a hero. Dumbledore praises Neville by stating "It is easy to stand up to one's enemies, but much harder to stand up to one's friends." We had quite a great conversation about what it means to stand up to one's friends (if your friends are doing something wrong that you know is wrong, for instance). We also had a great conversation about how even the nerdy kids like Neville can sometimes be the hero, so we should treat them that way.
We also had great conversations about the fact that Harry is left in a horrible house with his Aunt and Uncle for the first 11 years of his life. It seems a bit cruel, almost to leave him with such an upbringing. Yet, because of his suffering, Harry quickly learns what to value -- kindness -- and to easily choose between right and wrong in a way that maybe he wouldn't have if he hadn't experienced that cruelty himself. Christopher and I talked about how sometimes God lets us go through difficult challenges for the same reason. Anyways, say what you might about Harry -- they're great books to be reading WITH your kids. Now, if I can just catch up on my other work.....

No comments: