This story is undoubtedly more humorous at 10 am than it was at 1 am when it occurred.
We were planning to take Christopher to school today, at least for a half day and see how he does. I was planning to visit him at lunch with a smoothie and see whether he was up for staying for the rest of the day. That plan was interrupted at 1 am.
At 1 am he work up crying, in pain. He needed more ibuprofen or tylenol. Greg measured some tylenol and gave it to him. It seemed like a lot, so afterwards, he double checked the dosage. The dosage was 3 teaspoonsful -- he had accidentally given him 3 tablespoons. After wondering what to do, we decided to call poison control and make sure we hadn't given him a poisonous dosage. After checking his weight against the dosage we gave him, they proclaimed that he didn't meet the criteria for sending him to the hospital. The poison control operator continued, "But I do prescribe going and giving your son a hug and assuring him that he isn't going to die." Check -- got it covered.
When I stepped into motherhood did I have any idea it would include 1am phone calls to poison control to make sure we hadn't given poisonous doses of over the counter medications? I'd have to say no. After the 1am event, we decided to give him an extra day at home and to make sure we had a plan in place with the school nurse for pain control at school. Once the medicine wears out, he is obviously still in pain and I'd hat to have him at school without a plan. So, tomorrow we'll give school a try. Crossing my fingers for no more poison control phone calls.
No comments:
Post a Comment