I did it! I have survived the worst of cycle 1 of chemo.
I had about 4 days of wicked hard times. The doctors warned me that it would feel like a 3 or 4-day flu. They were right about the majority of symptoms, but "flu" doesn't quite capture it. Chemo just may be the hardest thing I'll ever do in my life. But I'll get through it.
Now that I'm through the worst of this first cycle, I am so appreciative of little things and am vowing to try to enjoy the next few weeks before the next cycle. I'm also vowing to try to do every beneficial thing for my body to get it strong for that next round. Many patients experience a "compounding" effect as cycles progress -- their body gets worn down and the same dosage of chemo drugs impact it harder and harder. Seeing how hard it is without the compounding makes me really want to keep my body strong between cycles. I started exercise again today for the first time since chemo. I did half of a normal work out and it was 4x as hard. But I did it. I'm going to also emphasize sleep, hydration, and nutrition. I think my body will be grateful if I can do everything I can to keep it strong before it gets bombarded again.
On a lighter note, our family enjoyed a perfectly wonderful Father's Day yesterday. I wasn't up for a big day, but we did go to see the movie "Up." I truly enjoyed it and found it to be one of the more heartwarming kids movies I've gone to see. It gained its laughs and smiles from the story and characters rather than any Eddie Murphy-type smack talking animal side kicks. As I sat there in the movie theatre with my family, I could see Christopher smiling at the little cub scout character that he could so easily identify with. He was smiling and hugging Greg. Cate kept coming over to stick her head in the crook of my neck and whisper "I love you mom." I guess the movie made me feel sentimental. I felt perfect peace at this little life we've created. Now to just get through the tough stuff so we can enjoy it for many years to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment