Thursday, June 25, 2009


We've been watching more movies than normal since surgery and chemo. It's summer and mommy isn't feeling at her finest, so we've had movie night a few times a week rather than once every other week. Ah well.
I've decided to try to do something good with all the movie time, though -- I've undertaken the assignment to assure that my kids are getting a proper education in my favorite type of movie -- the movie musical.


Seriously, there are few movie musicals I don't love. I'll admit it -- I didn't even mind "High School Musical." I just love seeing average people break out into song and dance at the drop of a hat and want my kids to grow up loving it too.


Recent additions to their movie musical IQ quotient include:


  • West Side Story -- this one was on TV. I don't know that it would have crossed my mind to let them watch it quite yet, but they were drawn in once we hit the community dance scene where Tony and Maria meet. And who doesn't love "America?" And while there is some violence, it's pretty stylized. Christopher appreciated the whole idea of dancing gangs, while Cate's favorite scene, of course, was Maria and Tony getting "married" in the bridal shop.

  • Into the Woods -- I've always loved this musical and it's a fun one for kids since it is based on fairy tale characters. This one is a DVD I found on netflix of the original broadway cast on stage performing (not a made for the big screen musical). Still, the kids really enjoyed it and enjoyed my personal stories with this musical and the cast. When I was in high school, Sondheim had this in repertory in San Diego and the cast came to our high school to perform and answer questions as part of a community outreach program. We then went to see it pre-Broadway in San Diego. After it hit Broadway, mom took me to see the show in LA and it was fun to see how much the show had changed from the Repertory stage.

  • Singin' in the Rain -- One of the greatest movies of all time, and certianly one of the greatest movie musicals. I used to think I would marry Gene Kelly. Again, a funny storyline for kids to enjoy and it was fun to teach them about Don O'Connor (they loved the "Make 'em Laugh" dance), Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds (mother of Princess Leia to them), and Cyd Charisse. They've got to learn the classics!

They've also seen "Hairspray", "Sound of Music", and "Annie" in the past. Cate sings a mean version of "Tomorrow" that will melt your heart, while Christopher has taken to the phrase "oh my goodness, oh my goodness." And of course they've seen all 3 of the High School Musical movies. Any other great movie musicals you can suggest for kids? I've been considering thet movie version of "Phantom of the Opera" but haven't decided yet. Unfortunately, I think "Evita" may need to wait a few years for maximum benefit (oh, I love that musical -- I can sing you the entire libretto by heart!).

I take their education in the fine art of movie musicals quite seriously. ..important stuff for a mother to impart to her children :-) Feel free to pass on your favorites that might be good for kids!

4 comments:

AlaskaLark said...

I still have Oompa Loompa's on the brain. Maybe Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Also, Camelot, The King and I (the Yul Brynner version), Fiddler on the Roof. . .

Doug said...

In a couple of years... Little Shop of Horrors.

jjloudon said...

Yes, in a couple of Years Little Shop will be good. I know that libretto by heart too. They did it at our regional theater and I really wanted to audition. King and I is a good idea, and so is Fiddler! Good ideas, guys!

Katie said...

Once Upon a Mattress (based on the princess and the pea) is a fun show, Peter Pan, Bye Bye Birdie (if you can stand the "we love you Conrad, oh yes we do" song), Meet Me In St. Louis...I love Jesus Christ Superstar, though I prefer the stage version to the movie.

I've always wanted to play Maria in West Side Story. I'm hoping someday one of our local theatres does that show. I love it!