Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Wish I had more info to report from my oncology visit yesterday. I did see the surgeon and got my drains out! Double yay! I can take a shower for the first time since surgery and feel 100% better than yesterday because of it. The oncology visit was long and fairly general. She hadn't looked over my case and was still waiting on the last piece of pathology which will stop a treatment plan from being developed. She's calling the lab now to push them to prioritize my needs but until then we won't know what she's recommending.

What we do know is that it will be chemo of some sort followed by hormonal therapy. We just don't know which drugs will be recommended in the chemo cocktail (somehow a cosmo cocktail sounds much better than a chemo cocktail, but what can you do?) until they get that final pathology and that means I don't know the schedule either. We Vieten's like to schedule so I'd love to have a better sense of whether I'm looking at 2 months or 6 months. I'm thinking closer to 6 months, and possibly a year of infusions of Herceptin depending on that final pathology. We should know more by early next week at the latest.

One thing I have learned is how much people care for me. Yes, I guess I knew this before, but the outpouring of love has made me feel like a million bucks. My girlfriends from college are pooling together for a housekeeping service for me during chemo. While Holly spoke to the service, somebody else called and was talking to the same service wishing to purchase my first month anonymously. When the service called me they said "you must be a very dearly loved woman to have so many people wanting to help you." Yep, I feel that way. People have also come out of the woodwork to help with kids, pick up laundry to take to their house to clean for us, and bring meals. I even have two different teams wanting to walk on my behalf for the "Race for Women" to raise money for breast cancer research. I've had at least 5 people (friends and family) offer to fly up immediately to help me if needed. All in all, it makes the road ahead look less lonely for sure.

No comments: