Friday, June 29, 2007

Summer Freedom
So, I've been reading this woman's blog on Salon.com. On it, she was despairing over the over-scheduled summers of children and describing "back when she was a kid" and could run around with the freedom of summer. She also discusses how "safety-driven" we've become and how we don't let kids run around the neighborhood and explore anymore.
I remember summers when I was a kid. They included running in the field next door and playing in the huge dirt ditch there. And exploring the houses being built in the neighborhood behind us. And running to our neighbors' houses, like the Salts and Jackie Kamerzall to see if they could play. When I was 7 or 8 we were able to walk with older siblings to the high school to swim at the pool. I wasn't a hooligan, but I had some freedom to wander. It was crucial to my imaginative play, and I'm sure to my parents' sanity.
So, in our modern age, how do we manage safety and freedom? I'm trying to figure this out on a practical level with Christopher. He's elected to NOT be signed up for camps and classes and multiple sports this summer, citing a desire to "run and play." So, how can you "run and play" if you're not allowed to do anything because mom says no? This week we're trying out two new phases of freedom -- but I still feel unsure as to whether I'm being too loose? Thoughts?
  1. Riding His Bike -- Our road is a little more busy than I'd like, but Christopher has also learned to be extremely safe on his bike as a result. He rides on the right side of the road, and pulls over and stops when he sees or hears a car coming. He then goes after the road is clear. He pays attention to his surroundings. And our driveway is not big enough to create a large enough area to ride. So, I've decided to let him ride unaccompanied to the old house and back. Am I crazy? Is this horrible parenting or am I ok to let him have a wee bit of freedom when he has shown he has earned it through safe bicycling?
  2. Visiting his new friends -- I've been letting him go down the hill in the backyard and then down the street (Hancock) to ask if his new friends can come to play. He then has to come right back. Out of sight, but within shouting distance. Again, too much or an appropriate amount of freedom?

I'm sure parenting was a bit easier in some ways when these safety concerns weren't so great. But, I don't want him frightened all the time, or home watching TV all day, or unable to feel like he's earning new rights as he grows and matures. So, give it to me straight....am I nuts?

1 comment:

Gateway School and Learning Center said...

It's a fine line we have to walk, isn't it? Had we but known how idylic our own childhoods were. . . we would have appreciated them more.