Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Cate had a good first day at school. Greg picked her up so I could make my client meeting -- bless him. When I questioned her about her first day, it was all good, but when I asked her who she played with she said "nobody." I believe her. Here in this photo when she first entered the classroom this morning, she grabbed some dolls and started building her own little doll house out of blocks. She needed nobody else to play with -- she was creating her own party. It's so unlike her brother. I noticed the same thing last year at school,though -- she tended to play more by herself, I just chalked it up to being young. But I sometimes would wonder to myself, "is she good at playing with others?"
I think it may be more of who she is -- that combination of independence and shyness with people she doesn't feel completely comfortable with. Once she knows somebody well, she plays with them incredibly well. I think of Ellianna or Kaes as the two biggest examples (other than Christopher) of kids she plays and interacts with so well, building very ornate imaginative and interactive play. In situations with kids she doesn't know well, her shyness kicks in, led by her innate independence, and she tends to play by herself. It'll be interesting to see if she forges more of those interactive relationships with other kids in school this year now that she's a bit older and more mature. It's just so strange to have two kids who are so dissimilar. For Christopher, that's the first thing I hear about -- which new friend he made at school that day. The relationships are premium for him. I think they are for Cate, too, but she just cherishes those few close friends rather than needing to feel like everybody is her friend.

No comments: