Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It's official -- the home remodel has begun.

I knew workmen would arrive on Monday, yet it snuck up on me just how quickly the house would become overtaken by the job. In my naivete I conjured up the mess and change as being somewhat focused on the kitchen. The reality is that the stuff from the kitchen has to go somewhere, causing mess in other areas of the house. Plus, we're building out a room for the washer dryer, which means another section of the house has serious construction going on.

Already, on only day 2 we have the cabinets on the wall bordering the dining room gone, including the refrigerater (which is now located in the TV room). Part of the wall has been removed on the dining room side of this wall to determine any obstacles to making the arch on this wall that connect the kitchen and dining room. A little room is framed that will be the new location of the washer and dryer. There are drop clothes everywhere, my food and kitchen supplies are in the great room on racks, and the dining room table has even been moved in there in front of the fire place. Pretty much nothing is in it's original spot from the main living floor.
My decision to not let the mess get to me went away pretty quickly. By last night it was driving me crazy -- probably just knowing that it's day 1 out of 60 or 70 was the hardest. I've been fighting a bug today, though, and I'm going to blame my grumpiness on the bug and hope that I'll feel better in the morning and start with a fresh outlook on the disruption and mess. The good news -- it'll be gorgeous by Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Gateway School and Learning Center said...

Don't freak out. I'm just glad you're doing it at all and it will be soooooo worth it in the end.