Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Oh.My.Goodness.
I'm going crazy this morning. I got a phone call from the Rasmuson Foundation -- the biggest funder in the state -- at 8:00 a.m. Our proposal, which we thought we had 2 weeks to complete, needs to be in this morning. Like 10 minutes ago. I'm still waiting for the final budget piece so I can send it in.
There I was, still in my jammies, no coffee, and the kids haven't even had breakfast when I'm told about the error they made. It seems the board has moved their meeting up, but our project contact was on vacation in California and didn't know. He returned to realize that proposals need to be in. Like, immediately. Like NOW! Oh, and did I mention that my client contact (who has final authority for decision making) was on vacation today? Luckily, he was just taking a day at home, and decided to check email. But I had a good 20 minutes of wondering what on earth I'd do if I couldn't get a hold of him.
Holy cow. Things I'm grateful for right now --
  1. Kylee the babysitter who came over so I could work 5 hours on this yesterday (made today possible -- otherwise we just couldn't have done it).
  2. The Disney Channel -- yes, my kids have been plugged in all.day.long. Nothing to be done about it - it is what it is.
  3. Kids old enough to know to pretty much take care of themselves for a few hours because mommy is truly, really busy.

To make matters worse, all of a sudden in the last hour, we had over $45,000 in additional requests for funding come in. All of a sudden, everybody wanted to make sure that their little fiefdom had adequate funding for the project. Our little project blossomed from a $42,000 request to a $65,000 request in about 30 minutes. And that was after waving off some of the requests as just being unable to meet. I could have killed them all. Otherwise, the budget would have doubled in the last hour.

Okay...just emailed the proposal in. Breathe. And go unplug the kids from the TV.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Glad to hear your work project came together well!

Are the kids into Hannah Montana and High School Musical yet? They are SO big here! Hannah Montana sold out (the concert) in about 10 minutes!