Best Idea I've Heard This Week
Comes from Lisa. The kids had a great time at Kaes' 4-year old birthday party last weekend and Lisa put together the most original goody bag ever -- coming up with a goody bag that parents and kids both like is a tall order. It included a harmonica and a party mix CD of some of Kaes' favorite arrangements of traditional kids songs (I've been working on the railroad, Shoe Fly) as well as newer kid classics (Veggie Tales' The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything). It's been playing in the car almost non-stop this week.
I can't tell you how much money I've wasted on goody bags for my kids' birthdays -- on pencils and crayons and notepads and stickers and gum watches. The kids love them, but as a mom, I usually think "huh...what will I do with yet another pencil" and "can I toss them safely yet without the kids knowing." One year I couldn't bring myself to do waste money on more little trinkets and bought used books at Title Wave to give out instead.
The party mix CD is genius. It has a particularly welcome calming influence during carpool days --with one extra kid on an early grumpy morning that CD is like magical catnip causing the kids to concentrate on learning all the words to the "Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" rather than sniping between each other. So, congratulations to Lisa for the best idea of the week prize.
2 comments:
Bravo! That's exactly what we were hoping for. I'm so glad you liked it and copied your post to send to Roland who gets the credit for putting the mix together. Several of those songs are Kaes' favorite and some have just been played a bunch here over the years so they provide memories here at home as well.
And, by the way, the used book idea was wonderful. We still have that paperback floating around. Another year you did coloring books and crayons that that was well used and appreciated.
Post a Comment