Friday, January 04, 2008



Christopher wrote his first piece of fan mail this week. Here's the text:


"Dear George Lucas,
I really love Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Indiana Jones is filled with excitement. And I'm your biggest fan of Star Wars. I hope we can keep in touch. Christopher Loudon, Age 6" followed by his email, address, and phone number (for that "keeping in touch" business).
I don't remember sending fan mail as a child, and certainly not at this age. I hope dear George decides to send back something even if it is only a form letter. It would make Christopher's year.
As for me, I'm getting around more and have just recently left the house driving for the first time in 2 weeks. I just don't have my energy level back. One trip out of the house to the grocery store and I'm done for at least a few hours. I'm used to being very efficient and getting a lot done. Last night I made a pretty elaborate Thai food dinner (Pad Thai and home made Egg Rolls) -- don't know WHAT I was thinking but about halfway through I seriously wished that I had selected to make spaghetti or hamburgers. It's tough for me to realize that my body hasn't gotten back to its normal self yet.
I have much more sympathy these days for people who have major surgery since mine was all in all pretty minor. I can only imagine how long it takes for others with bigger surgery to feel like themselves again. And, I have a whole new understanding of how the term "pain in the butt" came around and why that particular nomer was used rather than say, "pain in the shin" or some other body part. Something about pain in this particular body part that just really makes that saying more meaningful!

No comments: