Wednesday, January 16, 2008



Here's what our day looked like on the calendar today:

6 a.m. -- Alarm goes off -Jenny gets ready.

6:45 a.m. -- Wake up kids to get ready.

7:15 a.m. -- Jenny and Cate leave to drop Cate off with my friend Melanie

7:45 a.m. -- Carpool buddy picks up Christopher (who is home with Greg) to take him to school

7:45 a.m. -- Jenny drops off Cate with Melanie and heads to half day meeting with client

8:15 a.m. -- Jenny's meeting starts

1:00 p.m. -- Jenny's meeting ends

1:15 p.m. -- Jenny picks up Cate from Melanie

2:50 p.m. -- Jenny picks up Christopher and carpool buddy from school. Carpool buddy stays here after school for a playdate

4:40 p.m. -- Playdate ends. Start the evening routine (dinner, bath, books)


Here's what our agenda is REALLY going to be like today:

3:00 a.m. -- Christopher wakes up sobbing with a headache, fever, and sore throat. Greg looks in his throat with a flashlight and finds white puss in the back of his throat. Yep, that's strep throat episode #5 over the course of the last 7 months.
7:15 a.m. -- Get up and call the carpool buddy, the client, and my friend Melanie and cancel it all.
8:00 a.m. -- First caller into the doctor's office when the phone lines open. Appointment set for this morning at 10:15.
Rest of the day -- read books, watch TV, suck on Otter Pops (for Christopher), cuddle up in a blanket on the couch.
I just feel terrible for Toph. He had a sore throat yesterday and I thought about taking him in to the doctor. However, he didn't yet have any other symptoms and Christopher assured me he was fine. In hindsight, I'm sure he knew that one more bout of strep would take Greg and I off the fence in terms of whether to get his tonsils taken out -- the ENT already told us he met surgical criteria. We were taking a "wait and see" position. I think he was pretending to be better than he really was yesterday in hopes of avoiding surgery.
And I'm beginning to wonder if God is giving me a sign about whether I'm supposed to be working right now. My current work project requires lots of day long and half-day meetings. The workload in between the meetings is spotty -- easily manageable. It's the meetings themselves that have been the biggest workload. I'm not really set up for those easily unless they fall on days when Cate is in preschool-- I have to rely on the goodness of friends to help out with kids on those days. Greg has also taken some vacation time to help out. This is the second major client meeting in a row I've had to get out of in order to tend to a boy with strep throat.

No comments: