The Good and the Bad
Well, the bad happened over the weekend. I was down with the stomach flu. Ugh! Haven't had that in a while and I'm glad it's done. Feeling a little behind schedule now from an unexpected day off, but I guess it was kind of nice to spend a day in bed, taking naps and reading mystery novels. That doesn't happen very often. I've got to look on the bright side.
The good? Cate had her 5-year old check up with the allergist today. She hasn't been re-tested since she was 1 year and had her initial allergy diagnosis. So today we went in to check for any improvements. They do a combination of tests -- the prick skin test and a blood test. They look at the two in conjunction to detemine whether a food is ready to be challenged back into a diet. They've only done one test so far -- the skin test. But it was encouraging. She's still very allergic to eggs (+4 -- the highest possible rating) but her barley came back as negative. We'll do the blood test this week and in about 2 weeks we'll see if it looks as promising. If so, we'll be allowed to try barley in small doses and see how she does. They also checked for some environmental allergens and she also came back positive for dogs and cats. Still, I'm encouraged. Cross your fingers.
Also on the good side -- Vacation Bible School is this week. Cate missed this morning due to her appointment, but Christopher went and had a great time. And I can't tell you how nice it was to have only 1 child in the doctor's office for the 2 hour appointment (allergy appointments with testing are not in and out -- they take time and keeping one child entertained in a confined space is enough).
No comments:
Post a Comment