Greg and I survived our day at Cub Scout camp. It was the last day of the last week of camp. The counselors (16-19 year old boys) had been overseeing scads of boys -- both the day campers and the night campers -- for 10 weeks. And this was the end of it. The very last day. They were all looking a bit beat. I could tell that our leader, Bubbles, was very good at what he did, but starting to be tired. Honestly, I would have been too. At the end of one day, I was ready to come home, take a hot shower and hit the hay. 10 weeks! Oy!
It was fun to be there with Greg. Our den of boys was mostly well behaved, although we were paired with another den that I didn't feel was very well behaved. We did a service project of filling some of the muddy spots with wood chips, and I had to have conversations with several of the boys from other den to come and help rather than sitting under a tree. When you're 8 years old and already finding ways to get out work in a group I am concerned for your future.
The boys did gold panning, service, and shelter making in the morning. In the afternoon they did camp cooking, gym, and flag ceremony. Certainly Christopher had a great time. And I'm thrilled to see him learning some very good and interesting things that I wouldn't have taught him at home. And I'm very glad I'm not a 16 year old camp counselor there for 10 weeks straight!
No comments:
Post a Comment