Last Friday was the official lottery day for all of the alternative school in the Anchorage School District. That was the day that the schools picked names out of the hat to see who would be offered a spot in the kindergarten classes next Fall. Since Cate is a sibling of an enrolled student at Chugach, she was put at the top of the list for a spot. Out of 36 Kindergarten spots at the school, there were only 11 spots available for new families. I've heard that over 200 signed up for those 11 spots. I'm only sad that several friends who had hoped to get spots haven't done so yet.
I'm feeling blessed to know where she'll be, know that it will be a great fit for her, and know that she feels comfortable at the school and with the kindergarten teachers since she's spent so much time there already. She also knows a good number of kids that will be in her class since they are siblings who have been brought along to many school events as well. So on Friday, we bought her her official student hoodie on Friday and she felt as proud as could be.
I have such mixed emotions about the fact that she'll be heading off to the big school next year. I know she'll be so ready, and I'm thrilled knowing how exciting it will be to see her learning so much and seeing concepts click. But I'll miss my little shadow. Cate is a lot of fun to be around -- she's quite mellow and flexible and loving. We spend good portions of the day snuggling and laughing and reading. When I need to get other things done, she finds ways to keep herself busy. I was even able to lead the cub scouts in learning their end of the year banquet skits and songs yesterday while Cate played happily by herself in another aread of the room. She has recently also discovered the joy of sitting by the CD machine and reading along to the new "Puff the Magic Dragon" book and song (by Peter Yarrow and his daughter). She'll listen to it over and over while memorizing the songs. Yep, I'll miss this girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment