
It's fun seeing Christopher's reading skills improving -- he's going at warp speed these days. He's finally getting efficient at reading books that are actually interesting to him. He's no dummy -- Dick and Jane aren't exactly exciting plots and they haven't really encouraged him to desire to want to choose to sit and read a book instead of say, playing with trucks or knights or running around the yard.
With his improving skills, though, I am more and more finding him sitting down to complete a book because he just wants to see what will happen next. I've really been trying to find books that would interest boys-- he's really been enjoying "Minnie and Moo" books -- especially "Minnie and Moo and the Case of the Missing Jelly Donut." It is chock full of silly kid humor where cows dress up like chickens in search of a thief, find the clues, and then find the jelly donut had been sat on by one of the cows and is stuck to their bottom -- what more could a 6-year old boy want in a book? It really made him want to keep reading, though -- a page-turner for the 6-year old boy set. I think I'll get him some other detective stories -- any other suggestions for Level 3 "Read on Your Own Books" that boys would be especially interested in?
1 comment:
Ummmmm, immediately he could read Zach's Aligator (there are at least a couple of these). Maybe Captain Underpants? A-Z Mysteries. Geronimo Stilton, Mouse Detective. Magic Treehouse. The Boxcar Children.
Post a Comment