Yesterday was supposed to be our first big party at the new house. We had about 20 adults and 10-12 children who had RSVP'd that they would be here with the BBQ grilling and a few beers chilling. Greg had stopped on Costco on the way home from work on Friday with several hundred dollars worth of food -- everything from veggie platters to fruit trays, to beef and pork, even a cheesecake and large chocolate cake.
Friday afternoon after our trip to the Soup Kitchen we were all particularly tired. I just chalked it up to a hard day of work and we all settled down to watch "Dreamer" which was taped on our DVR. But when Christopher refused to eat dinner because his throat was too sore, I decided to take his temperature. Yep, he he had a slight fever, sore throat, and zero energy. I was feeling similarly but also having some gastrointestinal issues (which is a lady-like way to express my symptoms).
Saturday a.m. I got an appointment for Christopher at the pediatrician. She told me they had been seeing lots of sore throats with other various symptoms -- no two cases were alike but they all shared the same throbbing sore throat. She thought that was probably what Christopher had until she looked in his throat and pronounced it most likely Strep. The culture came back positive. We were told he would be extremely contagious for the next 24 hours after starting antiobiotics. There went the party. Luckily, she gave Cate a prescription just in case she started showing symptoms.
I then dropped the kids back at home and headed to Urgent Care for me. Two and a half hours later, I was pronounced as having the viral throat thing -- not strep, but sore throat, water on the eardrums, chest congestion, those GI problems, and feeling like I had been hit by a bus.
Not exactly the fun weekend we had planned. Greg was able to freeze lots of the food, return some of the others, and keep some of the others. We'll reschedule in a few weeks.
1 comment:
You are in our prayers at Abigail's insistence! Blessings and healthy wishes on all of you.
Post a Comment