Friday, December 28, 2007

I made it safely through surgery, with many reminders of things I'm so blessed to have. First on that list -- I'm blessed to have a friend who doesn't think getting up at 5 am to drive me to the hospital is the cruelest of requests. Robin picked me up and took me so that Greg wouldn't have to drag the kids out of bed at that hour. I didn't realize how nice it would be to have a friend there instead of just a taxi during the preparations for my first real surgery. Luckily, Robin is up at that hour anyways, so she didn't mind offering her chauffeur services.
Things went well and quickly during surgery itself. Or so I'm told. I don't remember a whole lot about it. Second thing to be blessed to have -- anesthesia. It certainly put me out for most of the day. I woke up in the recovery room long enough to be sent home, and I then promptly hit the bed for a short little 5 hour nap. In the middle of the afternoon -- can you imagine? Yesterday I took just a short little 3 and a half hour nap. Boy those pain medications sure make dreamland look attractive and way too difficult to refuse.
The good thing is that the pain medications have really helped my pain be much less than I anticipated. The bad thing is they make me want to sleep at all times. Greg has to return to work on Monday and then will have Tuesday off again for New Years. I had thought he wouldn't have to return until Wed. so I'm trying to wean myself off the pain meds so that I'm ready to be responsible on Monday. So far, so good. I still need them, but in longer intervals.
Another thing I'm blessed with? A husband who is taking very good care of me, making sure I take my meds when I'm supposed to, and chastising me when I get up to clean the kitchen or do some other chore that needs doing. The kids have also been particularly sweet -- vying over who gets to carry my pillow or fetch a glass of water.
So far so good. I'm hoping a few more days of rest and I'll be able to sit again..yes, that's still the hardest part, as you can imagine!

No comments: