So, Christopher has now had 4 bouts of strep throat in 6 months. That was enough to send us to the ENT this morning to find out what on earth is happening to him.
Apparently, as far as the ENT is concerned, 4 positive strep cultures in 6 months qualifies him for a tonsillectomy. I know these used to be done ALL the time, but they are done fairly infrequently now. I don't know whether to go for it in hopes of ridding ourselves of the vicious strep which has been a bit overwhelming this winter (causing at least 7 days of absence from school since late October), or to wait it out a bit and see how he does next year. But if I wait, what does the new criteria become for when "enough is enough?"
It doesn't help that Christopher is quite worried about the idea of surgery-- the ENT doctor didn't show great panache by discussing the sores in the back of his mouth that would be forming and lasting there for 2 weeks. If she had started with the bit about eating ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a week, she might have had more success. Thoughts? Anybody had tonsils out?
No comments:
Post a Comment