Recovery from surgery is a topsy turvy thing. Some days are up, other days are down. The last day and a half or so were tough - - I seemed to catch some sort of virus causing flu like symptoms, all of which the on call surgeon seemed uncaring to hear about it (we, on the other hand, figured it would be best to make sure that it wasn't an infection from surgery but he seemed a bit put out to be called). Then, I had a set back in terms of pain, that required me to need to up my pain meds, rather than continue on the decreasing schedule I was trying to implement. I guess recovery from these things isn't always just a straight trajectory.
Today was much better. I must have come down enough in my pain meds this morning to begin realizing in horror how messy the house had become (somehow, while on massive doses of percoset and valium, the cleanliness of the house wasn't at the top of my list of concerns). I may not be well enough to do all the cleaning myself, but was well enough to help supervise the kids, who became incredibly good helpers as I supervised their toilet bowl scrubbing skills and instructed Christopher on how to become the garbage man and take out all the bathroom garbage. They were great sports and helped get things to a more bearable level, while Greg dove into the mountains of laundry. All that was enough to send me to my daily 3 hour afternoon nap that seems to take place since surgery. Geesh. I guess I should just enjoy this, but it is a very unusual state of being for me. I'm looking forward to being back to a normal self.
Top quote from the kids about this ordeal comes from Christopher who told me yesterday that he wanted his "old mom back." When I asked what the difference was between his old mom and his current mom he elaborated, "well, my old mom didn't just lie around on the couch all day and watch so much tv. She played with us, and read to us, and cooked us good food. I want her back." Working on it, son. Working on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment