Sunday, January 25, 2009











It's January 25th. Eight years ago, I became a mother with the birth of baby Christopher.
I remember the joy that I felt at that moment -- I had desired a baby for so long and finally he had arrived. I had no idea what motherhood really meant or what it had in store for me.
My boy has grown so greatly from that small baby wrapped in blankets. I am infinitely proud of him -- not only of his achievements, but who is growing to be. He is smart, thoughtful, compassionate, engaged in life, curious about his world, and thoughtful of the people around him. He feels deeply and is adept at expressing it. When Christopher is feeling on top of the world, it's hard not to be swept along with him.
Today was a definite high. We celebrated his birthday with a gaggle of 2nd graders at the West High School swimming pool. We spend a lot of time at that pool for swim lessons. However at swim lessons it's strictly business. Today, they could simply play and enjoy the pool, the giant water slide, and Christopher's first real chance at a diving board.
It was an exciting and lively party. But I love the fact the thing that mattered most to him about the day was that he felt so special to be surrounded by so many people who care about him. He had so many friends there who care for him. He had grandmas and grandpas who had sent cards for him even if they couldn't be here. His family had celebrated with him for a good 24 hours straight. He felt full of joy and gratitude for being so dearly loved.
My thoughtful boy is never better than when he's filled with gratitude and joy -- he thanked me over and over again for planning his birthday party for him, for making him his dairy-free, egg-free cake, and for cooking his favorite meal for his birthday dinner (meatloaf!). He felt like a million bucks.
And if you can't feel like a million bucks on your birthday, then when can you?

No comments: