Friday, January 16, 2009

Wow! Third day that the Anchorage School District called off classes and recommended people stay off the streets. More wind and rain are creating icy streets that resemble ice skating rinks more than they do viable transportation ways. I have to say, though, that the continued 100 mph winds that were predicted for the day so far have not showed up. We've had winds, but they're moderate compared to what we've been seeing over the past 48 hours. The wind advisory goes through tonight, though, so things could still get dicey out there. In the meantime, we're avoiding driving to the extent possible.

Yesterday, our big outing was to swim lessons. Apparently the school district HAD called off after school programs, but I managed to miss that announcement. I had called the pool, though, and been told lessons would continue. We were there with a much smaller crowd than normal. As a result, Cate was the only person in her group there and she got a private lesson. Just what she needed to push her over the threshold to "ring the bell." That means she has officially completed the requirements for Level 4, which include the crawl stroke and side glides. In Level 5, she'll continue working on putting those two together to get the stroke and breathing together. Combined with the visit from the tooth fairy, Cate declared it "a very exciting day!" Indeed.

The kids have done fairly well with being pent up -- but they're beginning to nitpick on each other. Usually, I'd send them to play outdoors, but I can't really do that at this point. Thank goodness for Kaes' birthday this afternoon -- they'll get to go see "Dog Hotel" and celebrate his birthday (and I don't have to sit through the movie! Double Yay!)

I'll post Cate's exciting moment of ringing the bell later. Having technical difficulties.

No comments: