Thursday, May 15, 2008

We've got a few busy weeks with end of school activities. Cate and I went to her end of year picnic for preschool today. We were bundled in our coats -- it's cold and just enough windy to make things feel way too chilly -- and the teachers (smartly) brought out the "extra" glove basket since most of the kids had icicle hands after just a short while on the playgound. Hello, Mother Nature -- it's supposed to be SUMMER. Next week, Cate and I will be helping chaperone a few field trips for Christopher's end of year activities. I can't believe that the school year is almost over and I'll have a second-grader on my hands!

I'm optimistic about summer. I'm looking forward to having lots of reading time now that Christopher is such a good independent reader. And we'll continue to work on his creative writing at home. He'll undoubtedly ride his new bike like a demon through the neighborhood. We'll swim a little, play soccer a little -- I'm even considering signing Cate up for a ballet camp for one week (a few hours a day) to see if she likes it. I'm definately looking forward to sleeping in a bit and not having to get the kids up and out of the house quite so early to run the carpool.

The best part of summer? Teenage babysitters who are more readily available. It makes my work so much less stressful knowing I can access help with the kids. This morning I had a meeting for work, and a just graduated sitter was able to come watch Cate since the seniors are done. She'll also be able to help out for 2-days of meetings coming up in early June so I most likely won't have to beg all my friends to help out with the kids at various times. And the neighbor girl across the street will be availalbe M-F anytime after 10 am (she is a competetive swimmer and will have early morning practice from 6-10).

No comments: